GET A JOB ARKANSAS GETAJOBARKANSAS.COM
contents 3 ABOUT US 4 PREPARATION AND JOB FINDING TIPS 5 WHAT DOES A SURGICAL TECHNOLOGIST DO 7 PATH TO BECOMING A SURGICAL TECHNOLOGIST 9 WORKING CONDITIONS AND CAREER GROWTH 11 FINDING A JOB AS A SURGICAL TECHNOLOGIST 13 REASONS TO CHOOSE THE PROFESSION 15 THE BOTTOM LINE 16 CONTACT US
ABOUT US How can I get a job in a specific company? Get a job in Arkansas can help you get your foot in the door. Research the company and find out who the managers are in the department you would like to work in. Send them an invite to connect. Express your interest in working for the specific company, describe your background and suitability for the position and organization. Once the invitation gets accepted go for an interview and decide accordingly while getting hired for the best one.
BECOMING A SURGICAL TECHNOLOGIST – PREPARATION AND JOB FINDING TIPS The medical field has an ocean of opportunities. Most people are aware of only the doctor and surgeon roles. When it comes to surgery, the surgeon alone cannot accomplish the task of healing a patient. It takes a whole team of medical professionals to do so. One such career option is that of a surgical technician. It is a role filled with some important responsibilities. People who have already trained to become surgical technologists can use National Staffing Solutions platforms to find a suitable job. 3
WHAT DOES A SURGICAL TECHNOLOGIST DO? As many people are not aware of a surgical technologist's role, here is a brief description. A surgeon generally has a packed schedule. The surgeon’s responsibility is limited to performing the surgery. But there are several tasks to be taken care of – both before and after the surgery. This is where the surgical technologist steps in. A surgical technologist’s role can be divided into three kinds – pre-surgery, post- surgery, and assistance during the surgery. GETAJOBARKANSAS.COM
• Before the surgery, the surgical technologist has to prepare the operating room and the patient. The operating room should be sterile and stocked up with all the necessary surgical instruments. The patient’s incision site should be prepared for the surgery. • During the surgery, the technologist assists the surgeon by handing over the instruments, providing suction, and other such tasks. • Post-surgery, the technologist should maintain the count of all instruments used for the surgery, ensure the patient’s incision site is dressed well and move the patient from the operating room to the recovery room. Thus, the surgical technologist plays a pivotal role in providing comfort to the patient and ensuring that the surgery happens smoothly.
THE PATH TO BECOMING A SURGICAL TECHNOLOGIST One may have seen job listings for surgical technologists on platforms like National Staffing Solutions. As the job is tied to the medical field, relevant training and expertise matter. How can one train to become a surgical technologist? It is mandatory to complete high school and obtain a high school diploma. After that, one can choose to get an associate’s degree from a community college or a technical school. • It is necessary to take courses related to biology, anatomy, and physiology at the high school level. An internship at the local hospital would help gain insights regarding the job and the healthcare sector in general.
• Next, the aspirant has two options – earn a degree or gain equivalent experience. • Although most of the top-level degrees have hands-on training as a part of their curriculum, one should get more experience through job shadowing and internships. • To maximize the likelihood of getting a job, it is recommended to appear for national certification exams. Note that this is not mandatory in all states. Estimates suggest that almost 70% of surgical technologists find jobs in hospitals. Therefore, if an aspirant begins the preparation at the high school level, one will reach the certification level and then proceed for the job search.
WORKING CONDITIONS AND CAREER GROWTH Most of the jobs in the medical field demand full dedication, and surgical technologists experience the same. Here are a few things that one can expect while working as a surgical technologist. • Most of the working hours will be spent inside the surgical room with warm lights. • One will have to get used to wearing surgical gowns and gloves for many hours each day. • When a surgical technologist is in major surgery, standing continuously for long hours will become the norm.
• Becoming a surgical technologist may also mean giving up on weekends and other holidays. Night-shifts and on-call work are an inseparable part of the job. • Being close to the surgeon also means that one has to be attentive at all times. There is a chance of being exposed to viruses, bacteria, and other unpleasant sights that accompany surgery. Before applying for a job listing on National Staffing Solutions, it is only natural to explore the career growth in the field. So, as a surgical technologist, what kind of growth can one expect? As it is a well-paying job, most people focus on gaining experience and stay in the same role. However, it is possible to advance to other related careers too. After gaining significant experience, some surgical technologists take other important roles in the operating room – that of a surgical first assistant, physician assistant, anesthesia technician, post-secondary instructor, registered nurse, and so on. Irrespective of the role, the fact remains that any job that requires one to be present inside the surgical room is a demanding role. One must proceed with the preparation for the job only if one is passionate about it.
FINDING A JOB AS A SURGICAL TECHNOLOGIST The coming decade will be bright for surgical technologists. According to the BLS estimates, job openings in surgical tech will grow by 7%, which is higher than the average growth rate of 4%. With thousands of opportunities opening up in the future, one can confidently start preparing for the job. However, just because there are several surgical tech opportunities, there is no guarantee that everyone who trains to be one will easily find employment. To keep oneself updated about the field's job opportunities, it is recommended to register with well-known online platforms like National Staffing Solutions. These platforms list all the openings that suit the user’s preference and qualifications. All a user has to do is to go through the desired skills, eligibility criteria and forward the resume.
Who is it for? Jobs in the medical field are not only about getting the required degree and experience. Some natural traits will come in handy. For instance, patience is a desired trait for a doctor. It takes patience to arrive at the correct diagnosis. A doctor should have the patience to explain a condition to the patient so they will understand. Similarly, what are the expected traits of a successful surgical technologist? • Monitoring - One should monitor the surgical instruments and the actions of all the others present in the room. • Work in teams - One can see success in surgical tech only if one is willing to cooperate with other surgical team members. • Steady hands - All the professionals who assist surgeons must have dextrous hands. A surgical technician will be required to hold organs, pass instruments, provide suction, and so on. All these tasks can be accomplished only with steady hands. • Communication - Surgical techs will be involved in providing after-surgery care to patients. Thus, they must be an effective communicator between the surgical team and the patient. Communicating well with the surgeon is important too. • Attention to detail - A surgical technologist's job is filled with responsibilities that demand attention to detail, from keeping a count of the sponges to positioning each piece of equipment at the right place.
• Patient listener - For a surgical technologist to respond correctly in various situations, listening carefully to surgeons’ words is necessary. • The ability to focus - The job involves working continuously for long hours. However, one should not lose focus while on duty. The job is not for those people who have a short attention span. Reasons to choose the profession Like any other profession, being a surgical technician also comes with its challenges. However, it is also rewarding at the same time. Here are some reasons why one should choose to be a surgical technologist. • Quick entry into the field - Generally, healthcare professionals spend many years preparing for the job – multiple degrees, intensive training, and internships. But becoming a surgical technologist takes about 12-24 months – one can start working early.
• Plenty of job opportunities - According to estimates, there is no shortage of job opportunities in the field. With enough experience, one can even find jobs in other geographical areas. • Attractive salaries - Choosing to become a surgical technician comes with twin financial benefits – (a) Due to the short duration of the courses, relatively less money is spent as a college fee and (b) The average salary for a surgical technologist is $47,300 – much above the average for all occupations. • The satisfaction of helping patients - One can feel satisfied that one has played a significant role in easing the lives of the diseased.
THE BOTTOM LINE In very few professions, one can spend less on college, start with an above- average earning potential, and make a difference in people’s lives. Therefore, the nights spent on calls for the passionate ones and the missed holidays are all worth it. Those who possess these traits and have undergone training can look for jobs on National Staffing Solutions. Becoming a surgical technologist is not for everyone. Those who are passionate about healthcare and have obtained their certifications can keep an eye on the platforms like National Staffing Solutions to know about job openings in the field. One can know about the requirements in different parts of the country. With proper planning, one can potentially graduate with little or no education loans. This, combined with the high salaries, allow surgical techs to lead comfortable lives.
CONTACT US VISIT OUR WEBSITE : GETAJOBARKANSAS.COM FIND JOBS IN ARKANSAS TODAY! TO POST A JOB, LOGIN OR CREATE AN ACCOUNT POST A JOB GETAJOBARKANSAS.COM
Read the Text Version
- 1 - 16
GET A JOB ARKANSAS GETAJOBARKANSAS.COM